John is a Senior Partner with more than 25 years of experience in the Employment Class Actions and Complex Litigation Group and handles select single plaintiff matters.
John brings a unique perspective and experience – before joining the Wilshire Law Firm in 2022, John was a Partner for many years and held major leadership roles in the international AmLaw 100 law firms of Foley & Lardner, Norton Rose Fulbright, and Seyfarth Shaw. Representing plaintiffs, John has found his true calling and purpose – to seek justice, protect employee rights and hold employers accountable.
John is a highly skilled litigator– successfully prevailing in lengthy cases involving multiple parties and millions of dollars. John has litigated countless wage and hour class action matters through the class certification process and beyond. He has proven to be innovative and aggressive, including, as just one example, proactively filing actions for declaratory relief and early summary judgment motions. He is also known as a truly determined attorney dedicated to creatively achieving the best possible results for clients.
John has a deep commitment to civic involvement and diversity. He currently serves as the Southern California Regional President with the Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA) and on the Mexican American Bar Foundation Board of Directors. Previously he has served as the National Chair of the Communications Committee with HNBA, on the Board of Directors with the California Minority Counsel Program, as well as a Commissioner with the Los Angeles Civil Service Commission and the Los Angeles Convention Center Commission (where he was appointed by two mayors).
John has been quoted in the media as stating,
“I feel a deep and personal responsibility that gives me great joy to seek justice, to mentor others, to foster community connections, and to do my humble part in hopefully opening doors for others.”
How long have you been practicing law?
John Yslas has more than 25 years of experience in the Employment Class Actions and Complex Litigation Group.
What industry memberships do you belong to?
John serves as the Southern California Regional President with the Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA) and on the Mexican American Bar Foundation Board of Directors.
What law school did you attend?
John received his J.D. from UCLA Law School.
- J.D., UCLA Law School (1996)
- B.A., with high honors, UCSB (1991)
Awards & Leadership Roles
- Hispanic National Bar Association, current Southern California (Region XVIII) President, and former Chair of the Communications Committee
- Mexican American Bar Foundation, currently serving on the Board of Directors
- California Minority Counsel Program, formerly served on the Board of Directors (including Executive Committee and Chair of HR Committee, formerly served as a commissioner
- Los Angeles Convention Center , formerly served as a commissioner
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, formerly served on the Lawyer Referral Service Committee
- “Seyfarth Partner Shares Paths He and Father Faced as Hispanic Lawyers” – Dec. 15, 2021 – Bloomberg Law