General Life Tips for the New Lower Limb Amputee
How to Cope with Life as An Amputee
Every amputee battles with anger, denial, and depression before coming to acceptance. Some may have an easier time working through their emotions and finding peace than others, but the spiritual and mental healing process is the same for all amputees – you have to draw on your own resolve (without denying support from your loved ones) and take one brave step at a time.
Fortunately, you are not alone. There are many commendable individuals who have made this difficult journey before you, and have drawn on their experiences to help others cope with life after amputation. They have these tips – some practical, others philosophical – to share with you:
- Seek out other amputees. Find resources.
- Fend off negative thoughts through meditation, fun activities, or whatever else helps you carry on.
- Assert your independence, but don’t be afraid to ask for help when you absolutely need it.
- If someone is exhibit patronizing behavior towards you because of your amputation, tell them to cut it. You deserve to be treated like a regular person.
- Check out these grooming tips for amputees.
- Get a cordless phone.
- If you use a cane, make sure it is the right height.
- When cooking on a stove, use back burners – it’s safer.
- If caught in rain, change shoes and socks ASAP. Avoid water damage.
- Carry a shoe horn with you when clothes shopping. It will help you take off/try on clothes.
- Avoid plush carpeting, stairs, and stairs without handrails.
- Machine wash and dry stump socks. They fluff up better that way.
- When walking through snow, use a light plastic shovel instead of a cane for better balance.
- If you haven’t spoken to someone in a long time and you miss them, call them. Chances are they’re not avoiding you – they just don’t know what to say. If you initiate the conversation, it will make them much more comfortable.
One last tip: if your amputation injury was caused by another party, contact the experienced amputation attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm for immediate assistance. We can help you get the compensation you need to pay for your past and future medical bills, and to gain access to the best treatments and technologies available. To learn more about your rights and legal options in a FREE consultation, call us today at (800) 522-7274.
Our lawyers have decades of experience in providing excellent results in these areas of practice.