2016 Will Bring New Traffic Laws for Californians
How Will California’s New Laws for 2016 Affect Traffic?
With the New Year just around the corner, Californians should inform themselves of the new transportation-related laws coming into effect in 2016. Here’s a simplified rundown of what you need to know:
- AB 1461, also known as the California New Motor Voter Program, creates a new automated system for registering qualifying individuals to vote when they get their driver’s license. It probably won’t kick into effect until after the June primaries.
- People who cannot afford to pay all of their parking tickets at once can set up installment plans with their local government.
- Limousines must have emergency push out windows.
- In cases of fatal hit-and-run accidents, vehicular manslaughter charges can be filed within a year of a motorist being identified as a culprit.
- The California Highway Patrol (CHP) can seek the public’s help in finding hit-and-run suspects through “Yellow Alerts” issued on electronic freeway signs. They can also issue “Silver Alerts” to describe missing seniors who are developmentally disabled or cognitively impaired.
- Using earbuds, headsets, or earphones while driving or bicycling is prohibited.
- The existing Ignition Interlock Device (IID) pilot project is extended to Sacramento and Tulare counties.
- Towing and storage feeds are capped, and tow operators are required to maintain documents that show that they are not acting as “bandit” tow truck drivers.
- Electrically motorized boards, also known as “hoverboards,” can be ridden within bicycle lanes, pathways and roadways.
- Uber and Lyft are to be monitored regularly by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
The experienced auto accident attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm wish you a safe and happy New Years! If you ever need help with an accident claim, please don’t hesitate to call us at (800) 522-7274 for assistance. Our team of legal experts is on standby, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We offer FREE, NO OBLIGATION case evaluations.
Our lawyers have decades of experience in providing excellent results in these areas of practice.