1-800-522-7274 AVAILABLE 24/7

Hablamos Español

Wilshire Law Firm Blog

What If the Defendant’s Insurance Policy Is Not Enough?

car insurance

Answers Provided by Our Car Accident Lawyers

Car accidents are a common occurrence on our roads.  If you, unfortunately, get involved in an accident, it is a bit comforting to know that your car insurance coverage (or that of the other driver) will most likely kick in to assist you in paying for your medical treatment and car damages. However, the already bad situation could get even worse if you get involved in an accident with a driver that does not have enough or any car insurance coverage to cover the damages they have caused. Read on to know what your options are in such a case.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage

In spite of the fact that car insurance is mandatory for registered cars in operation in nearly all states, the truth is that there are several drivers out there who operate their vehicles without insurance. Others have insurance coverage but are underinsured. The best way of protecting yourself from such drivers is ensuring that you have ample uninsured and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. If you are not sure of the amount of UIM to get, you could seek advice from experienced car accident lawyers; they will give you very helpful information.

UIM coverage is extra insurance coverage that you purchase from your insurance company to protect you in case you get involved in an accident with an uninsured (driver with no coverage at all) or underinsured driver (a driver who has car insurance in place but not sufficient coverage to cover your injuries, car damage, as well as other losses resulting from the accident). This coverage is mandatory in only a few states.

READ  Driving in the Rain in California

If involved in an accident with an underinsured driver, your underinsured motorist coverage will step in to help cover the difference between the underinsured driver’s coverage and the total amount of your damages. However, insurance companies limit the amount of time their policyholders have to make uninsured or underinsured motorists claims. You, therefore, should make your claim as soon as you know that the other driver at fault is uninsured or underinsured.

Collision coverage

Collision insurance coverage is one of the other insurance options that you could opt for to protect yourself if you are worried about getting into an accident with uninsured or underinsured motorists. If you get collision coverage, you will be paid for damages to your car in case you get into an accident with a hit-and-run driver or an underinsured driver. Though the benefits of collision coverage are many, you should know that collision coverage is not a substitute for personal insurance but a compliment to it. In other words, collision coverage won’t cover your injuries; only your personal insurance will.

File a lawsuit

This is perhaps the most commonly used option when people get into car accidents. By suing the other driver, you could get compensated for some of the damages you suffered. However, you should keep in mind that most uninsured or underinsured people have little in the way of assets of cash, and you will likely not get enough money to cover your medical expenses by taking this path. However, if you contact us, we will assign one of our car accident lawyers, and he or she will discuss with you ALL the legal options available. Our attorneys are experienced personal injury lawyers who know of dozens of ways of seeking compensation and making sure clients go home happy with enough money to cover their medical expenses.

READ  The Burden of Proof in a Car Accident Case

Wilshire Law Firm can help

It might be difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you realize that the at-fault driver has no insurance or is underinsured. However, by calling us and having us assign one of car accident lawyers to your case, you will realize that there are more legal options for cases like yours, especially if it was the other driver’s negligence that led to the accident. Contact us now to learn more about your case and best legal options for recovery!

Posted in

Free Case Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.