Essential Motorcycle Accident Tips and Pointers
Tips and Pointers for Motorcycle Accidents
If you’re an avid motorcyclist who rides on a frequent basis, chances are you will eventually take a spill, if you haven’t already. In fact, it’s a common saying among veteran motorcyclists that “every rider goes down at least once.” In the vast majority of cases, a crash on a bike will mean injuries to the rider. Although you can take measures to minimize the risk of a serious injury, there are some elements that are outside of your control. So it doesn’t hurt to be prepared in case something bad occurs.
It is highly recommended that you memorize the tips and pointers below. They can help you mitigate some of the expected, negative consequences of a motorcycle accident:
- Remain calm. If you become agitated or panicky, you may not be able to properly assess your situation, potentially opening yourself up to further harm.
- If able, evacuate the roadway, find a way to mark the danger zone, and wait for assistance. Otherwise, it’s best to remain put. If you force yourself to move with serious injuries, you may make things worse.
- Make sure that the investigating officers prepare a detailed report that is 100 percent accurate. Have your attorney advance costs to obtain the report and evaluate it for inconsistencies. You may be able to leverage the narrative of the report in negotiations with the insurance company.
- Take notes and photos at the scene if you can. Your notes should be detailed and your photos should be clear. The more information you have, the better.
- Get medical attention, even if you “don’t feel a thing.” Your health is your biggest priority. Why risk it? Have a medical professional give you a checkup and provide you with a report that establishes the full extent of your injuries.
- Don’t let the insurance adjuster fool you into jeopardizing your own claim. No matter s/he may claim, the fact of the matter is s/he is not on your side. It is highly recommended that you relay all communication with the adjuster to your trusted attorney. This way, you will ensure that your right to full and fair compensation is protected by someone who knows what they’re doing.
- Don’t blow the statute for filing a lawsuit. Personal injury lawsuits involve arduous tasks and complex procedures. Waiting till the last minute could mean a rejection of your case. If that happens, you will lose the right to pursue compensation altogether. Be prompt, be smart, and file ASAP.
When a rider goes down, the California motorcycle accident attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm pick them back up. Since opening our doors in 2007, we have won more than $100 million in settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients. We can handle your injury case while you focus on healing. Call us today at (800) 522-7274 and let us fight for you.
Our lawyers have decades of experience in providing excellent results in these areas of practice.