7 Helpful Computer Applications for People Living with SCI
There are many computer applications out there designed to help restore independence and improve quality of life for spinal cord injury (SCI) patients. From communication to creativity, these tools assist in many aspects of daily living. The resourceful spinal cord injury lawyers at Wilshire Law Firm have created this guide to help people find those apps that will most enhance their lives.
Please note: Wilshire Law Firm does not endorse, support, or have a relationship or affiliation with any of the following applications.
- Dragon Dictation ($74.99) – Ideal for anyone unable to use their hands to write or type. Helps you dictate letters reports, send email, surf the web, and perform other tasks using just your voice.
- Essential Accessibility (free) – This application allows users to navigate the web hands-free. Features include hands-free tracking, onscreen keyboard, page reader, and more.
- EyeWriter (cost varies) – Started and sustained by an international team of artists, software developers, and hardware hackers, this open source eye-tracking system allows disabled patients to draw using just their eyes. Required eyeglasses can be assembled at home using a guide. Cost of parts may vary.
- iShower ($99.95) – No hassle, no cords, no water damage – this Bluetooth water-resistant speaker connects to your smart device for anytime listening of your favorite audio apps.
- Smart Lock ($199) – Turns your smartphone into a smart key – and more. Lock and unlock your door, create virtual keys for guests, and keep track of who comes and goes.
- Tecla Shield ($349) – This powerful tool gives those with limited upper body mobility access to touchscreen devices as well as computers via assistive buttons, switches, or wheelchair driving controls.
- Tobii PCEye Go ($1,995) – A peripheral eye tracker that enhances computer accessibility with the speed, power, and accuracy of gaze interaction. Runs on standard Windows computers, allowing you to work with any application using only your eyes.
At Wilshire Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping accident victims with SCI get the compensation they need to pay for their medical treatment and rehabilitation, cover their lost wages, and gain access to the technologies that will allow them to lead fulfilling lives. To learn more about the services we provide in a FREE consultation, call us now at (800) 522-7274.
Our lawyers have decades of experience in providing excellent results in these areas of practice.