Questions to Consider when Choosing a Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Facility
Choosing a rehabilitation facility that best fits your specific needs is crucial to your recovery from spinal cord injury (SCI). While exploring your options, do as much research as possible, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Only after you gather extensive information about each prospective facility will you be able to make a decision in confidence.
Here are some general questions to consider:
- Do all SCI patients stay in the same area of the facility?
- Do the people in the SCI program share traits with me (age, gender, level of injury)?
- On average, how many people are admitted to the SCI program each year?
- Is the SCI program accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) or the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)? Has it been designated as a Model Spinal Cord Injury Center by the National Institute of Disability Research and Rehabilitation (NIDRR)?
- Is the program state-operated?
- Will the treatment team take my short and long term objectives into account when developing my rehabilitation plan?
- Will there be someone to coordinate treatment, communicate with staff, and keep my loved one informed of my status?
- What credentials do the physicians, nursing staff, and other specialists have? Do they specialize in SCI treatment?
- Are consultants in other fields easily accessible from the facility? Do you have any in-house?
- Does the facility hold educational/recreational activities for program participants?
- How many hours of individual treatment do participants get each day?
If your spinal cord injury was caused by another party, contact the trustworthy spinal cord injury attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm for legal assistance. We can help you get compensation for your medical treatment as well as connect you with a first-rate facility. To discuss your case with one of our dedicated legal experts in a FREE consultation, call us today at (800) 522-7274.
Our lawyers have decades of experience in providing excellent results in these areas of practice.