Bad Habits Lead to Car Accidents
Can someone really be more prone to accident than others? Well, if you consider the studies that have been done on the matter, the answer is yes. A particular driver can be more likely than others to cause an accident. The purpose of this blog is to help you know if you are accident-prone so that you can stop the bad habits or behaviors that make you a dangerous driver.
Qualities of accident prone drivers
- They are easily distracted: Distracted driving is one of the leading cause of accidents in the United States. If you are prone to using your smartphone or any other electronic device while driving, then you are more likely to cause an accident than other motorists.
- They are stressed: Stress is also a common accident-causing factor. Emotional stress can make you lose your focus on tasks that are right in front of you, such as driving. In other words, it makes you drive on autopilot, which is not a good thing, especially when you are driving on a busy motorway.
- They don’t get adequate sleep: Inadequate sleep reduces mental performance and impairs judgment while driving. It also increases your reaction time. All these effects are undesirable when you are driving. In fact, fatigue is behind many accidents everyday.
- They drink and drive: You have probably heard this a million times but it is true, and it must be said, again and again – don’t drink and drive. Driving under the influence of alcohol is a very dangerous thing to do. Alcohol affects your judgment, makes you drowsy and increases your reaction time. In short, it makes you a dangerous driver! According to statistics, thousands of people are killed in drunk driving accidents every year – and many more are injured.
- They break the law: When the speed limit is 50 miles per hour and you drive at 70 miles per hour, then you are putting yourself and other road users in danger. Speeding kills! It makes it harder to control your vehicle. You will also be more likely to cause an accident if you run a red light. Whether it is day or night, be a lawful driver and follow traffic signs and signals. Otherwise, you will be putting yourself – and others – in great danger.
- They are tailgaters: For some reason, some motorists just don’t keep a safe distance from other cars on the road. Keeping a safe distance between you and the car in front of you will give you the space and time needed to make an emergency maneuver in case the driver in front of you suddenly brakes or crashes.
As you can see, accident prone drivers have quite a number of bad habits. One or two of these may apply to you. If you are able to stop all of your bad habits on the road, you will significantly reduce your likelihood of getting involved in an accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by a negligent motorist, call us and we will assign to you one of our experienced Palmdale car accident attorneys to help you with your case.