Understanding Common Awarded Wrongful Death Damages
No two wrongful death cases are exactly alike. How the death occurred, the losses surviving loved ones have sustained as a result, and so on – these circumstances affect what damages are awarded and how they are calculated. However, there are several types of damages that are consistently awarded to survivors. They are as follows:
- Medical and Funeral Expenses – People who sustain fatal injuries in an accident often receive medical treatment before passing. The resulting costs can be exorbitant. In addition to medical costs, there are funeral expenses to consider. Getting compensation for these damages can help survivors alleviate stress after a loved one’s death.
- Loss of Earnings – When a loved one passes, surviving family members are deprived of his or her income. If the deceased was the “breadwinner,” the effects upon the family’s finances can be devastating. Economic loss experts are often brought in to calculate the deceased’s anticipated income, which is then factored into the damage award.
- Loss of Benefits – Survivors can recover the probable total value of the deceased’s benefits, including pension, medical coverage, etc.
- Care of a Child – Today, the courts recognize that the loss of a stay-at-home parent can still put a huge financial strain on the family, not to mention the emotional toll. After all, they both provide highly important and valuable services to the family, including child care, housekeeping, and other domestic services.
- Survivors’ Pain and Suffering – While these non-economic damages are not always awarded in wrongful death cases, they can be quite significant when they are granted. They are generally awarded in cases in which the survivor’s suffering goes beyond grief and includes trauma and shock.
Do you have any questions about the calculation of damages for your specific wrongful death case? If so, please don’t hesitate to contact the compassionate California wrongful death lawyers at Wilshire Law Firm for assistance. We have the financial and legal expertise required to give you a comprehensive evaluation of your case. After speaking with us, you will know where you stand and what to do to get the justice and compensation you deserve. To learn more about the services our personal injury firm provides, call us toll-free today at (800) 522-7274.