Someone You Loved Was Killed by a Truck – Now What?
Was your loved one killed in an accident caused by a commercial truck driver in California? Your family can file a wrongful death claim against all parties liable for the accident. This can include:
- The truck driver;
- The driver’s employer;
- The owner of the truck and trailer;
- The owner of the freight;
- The company responsible for the maintenance of the truck;
- The manufacturer of a defective truck part;
- A bar that served the driver even though he or she was clearly drunk; and
California law allows only certain people to file a lawsuit for the recovery of money following the negligent or intentional death of another. Refer to California Code of Civil Procedure §377.60 to see whether you qualify.
What a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Do to Win Your Case
Trucking companies have the wealth and resources to employ crack squads of investigators and attorneys to dispute claims. Since much is at stake, you will likely face considerable resistance in your pursuit of wrongful death damages. Only an experienced commercial truck accident attorney can help you hold the truck driver and the trucking company accountable for their actions (or lack thereof) so you can find peace and move on with your life.
An attorney can do the following to strengthen your claim and win your case:
- Send a spoliation letter. This will put the trucking company at notice and make it harder for them to destroy, lose, alter or conceal evidence.
- Have the tractor and trailer inspected. An inspection will reveal whether inadequate maintenance or a defective part contributed to the accident.
- Analyze other vehicle damages. With help from accident reconstruction experts, an attorney can piece together what happened by taking pictures and analyzing the wreckage.
- Get important documents from the trucking company. An evaluation of all relevant documents may reveal instances of company negligence, such as regulation violations, inadequate drug testing, etc.
- Interview witnesses. During the interview process, also known as a deposition, information may be revealed that could not only be used as evidence but also lead to further evidence.
Evidence is important in any legal case, but in this type of accident, there can be many different complex sources of information and competing theories of how and why a collision occurred. That is why it is important to retain an attorney who can go through your case with a fine tooth comb and use the findings to net you a favorable outcome.
Renowned California Personal Injury Law Firm
At Wilshire Law Firm, we have a stellar case record, including multiple big wins in truck accident and wrongful death cases. Since 2007, we have won more than $100 million on behalf of our clients. Our legal team serves clients all throughout California. You can call us today at (800) 522-7274 to learn more about your rights and legal options in a FREE consultation.