WLF Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Has Some Advice
In the United States, permits are issued per state and not on a national scale. Drivers have to get their licenses in their state of residence and may use this to drive in other states, with some restrictions. Although many share the same rules, there are a few exceptions. You may ask a motorcycle accident lawyer who specializes in state motorcycling licensing to understand what these limitations and restrictions are.
Typically, individuals who have a full car license can also drive motorcycles up to 125cc, and they do not need to obtain another license for that. But for motorcycles above 125cc, they need to go through another set of processes and exams to get a bike license. Once a rider obtains a motorcycle license, he no longer has restrictions on the type of motorcycles he can drive. Other states will also honor this permit, except for those under the age of 21. Each minimum age for driving vary from one state to another.
People under the age of 18 can obtain a license but must take note of the requirements below:
- Age – the minimum age to apply for a motorcycle license is 16. You do not need a full car driving license to apply, but you must have been issued a student’s permit for at least six months.
- Education – to apply for a motorcycle driver’s license, you must have a certificate of completion showing that you passed the skills and classroom exams of a driving school. In addition to this, you need to present a certificate of motorcycle rider training course. The certificate must stipulate that you have completed and passed the course.
People above the age of 18 can obtain a license but must take note of the requirements below:
- Driver’s license form – you must completely sign a driver’s license for identification card application form, also called DL 44. If you do not have this, you can call DMV’s hotline. You may also browse your state’s DMV office website and download the form.
- Next, you have to pay the application fee. The fee varies from state to state, but the average is no more than $50.
- Exams – the next step is to pass an eye examination. The exam is a standard test, very similar to the ones optometrists give. Make sure you bring your eyeglasses with you if you usually wear a pair.
- The next test is the knowledge exam, which is a written examination that you have to take in the government building. You cannot take this online. Depending on each state, some may offer a downloadable cheat sheet from their website. The cheat sheet contains sample questions, multiple choice answers, and the actual answers to the test. However, the actual exam varies in content from the cheat sheet. It basically gives you an idea of what the test is going to be about. The written test is similar to the regular car driver’s license application exam, but it has more emphasis on motorcycling rules and safety guidelines.
- Biometrics – the next step is to provide your fingerprint and photo. This information will stay in the government’s database for future reference.
- Other requirements – some states require other documents if you do not have an existing record or driver’s license in that particular state. An example is the birth certificate and a proof of address or residency. Another document you need is your social security ID or number.
- Finally, you need to pass the motorcycle skills test. No matter which category you belong to – less than 16 years old, less than 18, less than 21, or higher than 21 years old – you need to drive a motorcycle and pass the actual driving test. Once done, wait for your license.
Generally speaking, many laws that apply to cars also apply to motorcycles. However, motorcyclists have to show some documents as proof of ownership and vehicle registration. Some states also require evidence of residence. For mopeds, the government does not need titles.
To get a comprehensive list of the documents you need to bring with you when applying for a motorcycle license, you need to go to the DMV office or log on to each state’s website. You may also download forms from these websites.
You must also remember that motorcycle helmets are obligatory. Not all helmet designs are approved so better check with experts. A motorcycle accident lawyer can help you with that. The helmet is also a requirement for passengers, so if you intend on driving with a partner, you need to buy two of them. Currently, three states do not have helmet laws. But in almost all states, every rider below the age of 19 must wear a helmet.