Hiring a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Will HelpBicycle accidents are common and can result in serious injuries to the cyclist. Cyclists are often extremely vulnerable on the road, because of the complete lack of any kind of protective barrier. A cyclist’s collision with a car, truck or any other roadway hazard can result in serious injuries.
In case you have sustained some injuries due to a bicycle accident that was not your fault, you need to file a claim in order to get a fair compensation for your injury and other losses. Hiring an experienced bicycle accident lawyer can help you win your claim. Keep the following tips in mind in building your bicycle accident claim.
Things You Should Do After a Bicycle Accident
- In case of an accident, the first thing you should do is call 911 immediately. If you are unable to call due to your injury, ask someone else to make the call.
- It is important you call the ambulance in case you have been injured in an accident. Do not get back on your bicycle immediately after the accident. You might not realize how serious your injuries really are and you could put yourself at more risk by riding again.
- Write down the driver’s personal information. This information is crucial when filing a claim. You should know who is responsible for the accident.
- Take photograph of the scene at the time of accident. A photograph can prove to be important evidence in your bicycle accident claim, and can possibly help you win.
- At the scene of the crash, do not discuss your fault if you think there was any. Anything you say can be used against you during negotiations to minimize your settlement amount.
- Look for witnesses in case there are people who saw what happened at the time of the accident. Point out to officers any possible witnesses; the police will take their statement and it will prove to be important evidence later on.
- Keep a copy of police report – this is importance evidence for your case and it should be accessible to you in case you need it.
- Get copies of medical reports and documents. These documents will help make your case stronger. The more evidence you have that you got injured due to the accident, the better chances you have of winning the bicycle accident claim.
Things You Should Avoid Doing After the Accident
There are a few things you should not do after the bicycle accident. Doing any of the following things can diminish your bicycle accident claim:
- Do not get angry and curse or swear. Stay calm and focused. You should look around you to see if there is anything that you may have missed, which can be used as evidence.
- Again, do not admit you had any fault in the accident, as anything you say can be held against you.
- Again, do not ride your bike away right after the accident. You are likely to be more shaken up than you realize. By riding your bike soon after the accident, you could be putting yourself in even more danger. Instead, you should call a taxi or get a ride home.
An accident is a difficult experience; you might feel overwhelmed or very confused. It is important to keep your nerves together and not make mistakes you are going to regret later on. In order to successfully win a bicycle accident claim, you should hire a bicycle accident lawyer as soon as you can. Getting professional help from the start will significantly improve your chances of winning your bicycle accident claim.
Last Updated: 03-24-2017