If you have been injured in a bus accident, contact our experienced Los Angeles bus accident lawyers for a FREE evaluation of your case. Personal injury cases involving bus companies often involve high stakes and complex legal considerations. You must get a professional opinion before you speak with anyone from bus or insurance companies. Your health and financial security depend on it!
Common Injuries in Bus Accidents
As far as travel safety goes, using a bus as a means of transportation is usually a fairly reliable choice. However, when bus accidents do occur, they can often lead to devastating injuries with long term implications.
Some of the injuries that may have occurred if you have been involved as a passenger or driver in a bus accident include:
- Broken Bones
If enough force from impact occurs, passengers or pedestrians are likely to suffer from serious broken bone injury. Several outcomes can result from a broken bone injury, such as not being able to work for a substantial amount of time or being forced to pay ridiculous medical fees.
Due to broken glass or other contacts with sharp objects in the aftermath of a serious bus accident, victims’ bodies can be covered in deep cuts or lacerations that will likely need serious medical treatment. These cuts may also result in some form of permanent scarring.
- Whiplash Injury
Whiplash injury is by far the most commonly reported personal injury of bus accident passengers. When a bus comes to a complete halt unexpectedly, a bus passenger may experience swelling or bruising on his or her neck as a result of the sudden impact of the crash. Whiplash can be very a serious injury and needs to be treated as such.
- Spinal Cord Injury
In bus accidents, medical professionals are taught to always look for spinal cord injury before examining the injury victim for other possible grievances. Spinal cord injury can have several long-term implications, such as decreased mobility or paralysis.
- Head Injury
After a sudden impact, passengers may bang their heads against the bus seat in front of them or another blunt object. This can result in serious injury, with anything from traumatic brain injury to a loss in cognitive ability being the possible impacts.
If you are a victim of a bus accident injury, you need to seek medical attention right away. Contact an experienced Los Angeles bus accident lawyer from California’s #1 law firm today.
California Bus Accident Statistics
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website in 2014, 3,978 large buses and trucks were involved in fatal crashes, a 5-percent decrease from 2013. On average, from 2004 to 2014, intercity buses accounted for 13 percent, and school buses and transit buses accounted for 41 percent and 33 percent, respectively, of all buses involved in fatal crashes.
Large Truck and Bus Fatal Crash Statistics, 1975-2014:
- Nationwide, more than 700 million passengers are transported by buses annually, according to a 2012 report by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).
- Every day, there are more than 30,000 commercial buses and 450,000 school buses on the road in America alone.
- Around 12,000 children sustain injuries in school bus accidents every year.
- Around 11 children die each year from a bus accident.
- In 2011, bus accidents caused the deaths of 283 people.
- That same year, around 24,000 people were injured in bus accidents.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents in California
The first step in winning your bus accident injury claim is to figure out exactly what caused your accident and who is responsible for the resulting damages.
While there are many factors and conditions that can cause a bus accident, the most common causes are:
- Bus driver fatigue from working too many hours
- Bus driver error, such as running red lights, failing to yield right-of-way, etc.
- Aggressive driver behavior, such as speeding, rapid lane changing, failing to signal, etc.
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Inadequate inspection and maintenance, which leads to mechanical malfunctions
From 2003 to 2012, 174 school-age children died in school-transportation related crashes, 55 were occupants of school transportation buses and 119 were pedestrians.
A legal professional can help determine (as well as prove) the circumstances surrounding your bus accident, including the cause and liable party. Common Carrier Law in Los Angeles
State law dictates that:
Common carriers – entities that transport goods or passengers on regular routes at set rates, like buses – “must use the utmost care and diligence for [their passengers’] safe carriage, must provide everything necessary for that purpose, and must exercise to that end a reasonable degree of skill.”
- Safely transporting passengers to their destinations
- Providing a safe space for passengers to enter and exit the bus
- Protecting passengers from harm, including harm by other passengers
- Maintaining the safety of all active vehicles
- Screening and properly training employees
A common carrier that fails to uphold its legal duties can be held liable for all resulting damages to a passenger.
Who Can Sue After a Bus Crash?
After you or a loved one has been a bus accident victim, you may be wondering who is even liable for the pain and suffering that this accident has caused. While this may differ in every individual injury case, there are some parties who courts look to find culpability in accident cases. For example, bus companies have a duty to hire responsible drivers and make sure that their drivers’ vehicles are properly maintained.
If we can prove that the bus company breached that duty of care, and in turn that the breach caused your injury, we can sue the bus company for negligence. Additionally, if the bus driver failed to perform their duty to a sufficient level, they can also be held at fault.
Wilshire Law Firm will help you navigate possible liability in your injury case and seek the highest possible compensation for your injuries.
What Can a Bus Accident Lawyer Do to Help Victims?
It is critical to speak to a bus accident attorney as soon as possible following your accident. Insurance companies, as well as other parties on the side of the bus company, can try to influence your decision and make you settle for much lower compensation than for which you are entitled.
Bus accident lawyers can:
- Help provide compensation for all medical expenses due to the accident itself. You should not have to pay for something that is not your fault – and we won’t let you. Wilshire Law Firm will make sure you receive proper compensation for hospital fees, physical therapy costs, and more.
- Protect you from manipulation by big transportation companies and their insurers. When you aren’t familiar with the law, bus companies will try to low-ball you and stop you from holding them accountable. Our legal advice will help you understand your personal injury law case better so that you can make informed decisions.
- Hold all parties responsible accountable, and more importantly – get you the justice you deserve. As the premier Los Angeles bus accident law firm, we know the ins and outs of the law and will apply this knowledge to fight for your personal injury case.
- Get Help Today From your Los Angeles Bus Accident Law Firm!
Whether you were injured as a passenger, pedestrian, or driver, you need professional assistance from an experienced bus accident lawyer who will know exactly which clause of the law to leverage in your particular case. The firm you choose could make a difference of hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars.
At Wilshire Law Firm, our renowned legal team has won more than $900,000,000 in settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients. We have the commitment, the passion, and the resources to get you maximum compensation for your bus accident lawsuit.
Call us now at (877) 597-5395 and learn the benefits of going with a powerful firm that is still rooted in a small firm feel. Take action!