Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Provides the Answer
If you have, unfortunately, been involved in a car accident, there are numerous things you ought to do after the accident to prepare a car insurance claim. One of the most important things you should do is to get a completed copy of your car accident report. The car accident report is made at the scene of the accident by the responding officer. The report is used in car accident insurance claims negotiations or cases. It will also help your car accident lawyer craft a strong legal argument for your claims.
A car accident claim without a police report is incomplete and filing such a claim only works to increase the likelihood of the insurance company limiting your claim or of you getting a very low settlement offer. You should gather every potential piece of evidence related to your car accident to get the maximum compensation possible.
Getting your car accident report is a somewhat simple procedure which can be done as follows:
- Contact the police officer that responded to your car accident and completed the report by calling the number noted on their contact card. In case you did not get a contact card, do not fuss! Just contact the police station and ask for the police officer that responded to your case.
- When you get hold of your car accident’s responding officer, introduce yourself to him or her and provide some of the unique details of your car accident to him or her. In case you leave them a voice message, provide your name, a brief reason for your call, and your contact number.
- If the responding officer is unable to assist you, you could either speak to the receptionist of the police department or contact your local courthouse and request for a clerk. After establishing which department has your car accident report, you might have to go to the courthouse or police station to acquire a copy. Carry some money with you because you might need to pay a certain fee.
- In case you are not able to get your car accident report from both the police department and the courthouse, contact your insurance company and the other driver’s insurance company to determine whether either insurer has the report. If that is the case, ask whoever has it to mail you a copy.
- You might also be able to get a copy of the accident report at your local DMV office. Various DMV offices provide you with car accident police report after the responding police officer submits it. Contact your local DMV to see if they have a copy.
Getting a copy of your car accident police report could be a very frustrating process and it definitely calls for patience and persistence. However, the police report is an important component of your insurance claim and it needs thorough reviewing before you and your car accident lawyer take any action to recover insurance money.
What should I do with the police report?
After getting a copy of the police report, review it to find out the official version of events. It is most likely that your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance might have a copy of the police report and they will use it to support their version of events. Be well prepared to make use of the report to support your own version of events. If the police report wrongly states that you are responsible for the accident, you need to be prepared to refute the responding officer’s view on what happened.
In case you need any help reviewing the police report, or you strongly believe that the responding officer’s version of events is somewhat wrong, you can seek out the help of a car accident lawyer. A car accident lawyer will usually give you a free consultation.
Last Updated: 03-24-2017