ALERT: Avoid These Dangerous Baby Cribs
As a parent, your first and foremost concern is your child’s safety. You have extensively child-proofed your home. And you still make sure to closely read the labels on every single child product you purchase, including toys, food, and other items.
However, were you aware that the most dangerous product for your baby can actually be the crib?
Just last year, cribs, bassinets, and playpens accounted for approximately 15,900 infant injuries and were the leading cause of infant deaths (72 percent!) among all nursery products, according to a report by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
While new, more stringent federal requirements concerning the manufacture and sale of cribs (including resale) have recently been enacted to improve overall crib safety in the nation, CPSC estimates there are still around 20,000,000 unsafe cribs in use or lurking in storage! Products that have been recalled in recent years include:
- SULTAN and VYSSA crib mattresses by IKEA
- Dream on Me 2-in-1 Bassinet to Cradle
- Oeuf Sparrow Cribs
- Rockland Furniture round cribs
For more information on crib recalls, visit the Keeping Babies Safe website.
What if your crib is not on the recall list? Does it mean it’s safe? Not necessarily. You should inspect your crib to ensure that it meets the following CPSC safety guidelines:
- The mattress in the crib should be firm and tight-fitting so your baby can’t get trapped between the mattress and the crib.
- Don’t leave any pillows, thick blankets, or stuffed toys in the crib. They could cause your infant to suffocate.
- The crib should be properly assembled and there should be no missing, loose, broken, or improperly installed screws, slats, brackets, or other hardware.
We highly recommend that you check out the CPSC webpage on cribs to learn more about how you can keep your baby from being injured in the crib.
The legal team at Wilshire Law Firm hopes that the information in this blog will serve to protect you and your loved ones from harm.
Our lawyers have decades of experience in providing excellent results in these areas of practice.