Protect Your Children’s Eyes
August is Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month, so now is a good time as any for parents to give themselves a little refresher course on how to prevent their children from suffering eye injuries.
Every year, thousands of children sustain eye injuries or even blindness from participation in sports, recreation, crafts, or home projects. While injury is to be expected from time to time – children are children, after all – eye injuries are not on the same level as scratches and bruises; they can result in serious, long-lasting visual impairments that impede on a child’s ability to carry out even the simplest of tasks.
Fortunately, eye injuries can easily be prevented as long as you pay attention and keep a few key rules in mind, including the following:
- Since eye injuries occur fairly frequently in children and young adult athletes between the ages of five and 14, children should wear eye protection with polycarbonate lenses while playing sports.
- Parents, teachers, and others who provide care and supervision for children should watch them closely while they’re using common items that carry a risk of eye injury, such as paper clips, scissors, wire coat hangers, and rubber bands.
- Avoid buying projectile toys such as darts, bows and arrows, and missile-firing action figures.
- Only purchase age-appropriate toys marked with “ASTM”, which means the product has been approved by the American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Keep all chemicals and sprays out of reach of small children.
- Do not under any circumstances let your children play with non-powder rifles, pellet guns, or BB guns. They have the potential to cause severe, even fatal injuries.
- Do not let your children play with fireworks. They shouldn’t even be near them.
If your child has sustained an eye injury due to a defective or dangerous product, you may be entitled to compensation from the liable manufacturer for medical bills, pain and suffering, and more. Contact the experienced product liability attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm today to find out how you can obtain maximum recovery for your losses.
Our lawyers have decades of experience in providing excellent results in these areas of practice.