Bicycling is a popular and eco-friendly mode of transportation in Fresno, but it comes with some serious risks. Despite being a city with a large cycling community, Fresno has faced challenges recently in rider safety. New statistics and recent studies highlight the ongoing dangers for cyclists in Fresno.
People For Bikes ranked Fresno 117th out of 143 large cities for bicycle ride safety, assigning it a score of 25 out of 100. Recent data from California’s Transportation Injury Mapping System (TIMS) also indicates a worrying trend in Fresno.
The rate of bicycle accidents involving injuries and fatalities has been on the rise, with 2022 showing a significant increase in bicycle crash incidents compared to previous years. This uptick in accidents underscores the need for urgent action to improve safety conditions for cyclists.
The situation in Fresno County is just as worrisome. TIMS figures over the past five years show an escalation in the number of bicycle accidents across the county. While there was a slight decrease in fatal bicycle accidents in 2022 compared to the five-year high in 2020, the numbers remain concerning.
Statewide, the California Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS) noted that Fresno’s increase in bicycle collisions in 2022 wasn’t reflected in the overall state numbers. Nationally, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that nearly 1,000 bicyclists lose their lives each year in the U.S., with over 130,000 injured in crashes.
Fresno’s bicycle accident data showed that young riders, particularly those between 11 and 19, were often victims of serious accidents.
At Wilshire Law Firm, we recognize the unique challenges faced by bicyclists in Fresno. Our experienced Fresno bicycle accident attorneys are dedicated to helping victims see their legal claims through to resolution. We have 15 years of experience securing justice and appropriate compensation for those affected by bicycle accidents in Fresno, aiming to improve safety measures and greater awareness among motorists to create a safer environment for all cyclists.
Table of contents
- Why Choose Our Fresno Bicycle Accident Lawyers?
- What Types of Compensation Can You Recover After a Fresno Bicycle Accident?
- Where Can Bicycle Accidents Happen in Fresno?
- Our Focus on Fresno Bicycle Accidents
- Fighting the Insurance Company After a Fresno Bicycle Accident
- What to Do After a Bicycle Accident in Fresno
- Our Fresno Office Location
Why Choose Our Fresno Bicycle Accident Lawyers?
Wilshire Law Firm stands out for its dedication and track record in representing those who have been injured throughout California. Our attorneys have successfully recovered over $1 billion in personal injury claims, offering personalized and compassionate legal support to each client.
Our office, conveniently located in Fresno near the Fresno County Public Library, Veterans Memorial Museum, and Courthouse Park, provides easy access for local residents. Situated at 1221 North Van Ness Ave Suite 301, Fresno, CA 93704, our office is a welcoming space for clients to discuss their cases and find the support they need.
What Types of Compensation Can You Recover After a Fresno Bicycle Accident?
One of the first steps in the process of filing a compensation claim after a bicycle accident in Fresno is to understand the different types of compensation available to you and what goes into proving and recovering them.
Wilshire Law Firm was named among the Best Law Firms by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® for four consecutive years. With us, you will receive the full compensation you deserve.
Here’s a detailed overview of each type of compensation related to bicycle accidents and how our firm can help you establish and recover them:
This compensation includes all costs for medical treatment resulting from the bicycle accident, such as emergency room visits, hospitalization, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, and future medical care.
We gather all medical records, bills, and expert testimonies on future medical needs. Our firm works closely with medical professionals to document the extent and prognosis of your injuries. Then, we compile and present this information to the other side to make sure these costs are fully covered in your compensation.
Lost Wages and Lost Earning Capacity
Compensation for lost wages covers the income lost due to time off work for recovery, while lost earning capacity refers to future earnings lost if your injuries prevent you from returning to your previous employment.
We collect employment records, salary slips, and expert testimony on your work-life expectancy and the impact of your injuries on your ability to earn. Our team calculates and negotiates these losses for you. Our goal is to make sure you are financially stable now and in the future.
Pain and Suffering
Pain and suffering is a type of non-economic damage that covers the physical pain and emotional distress you suffered due to the accident. Pain and suffering are proven through personal testimony, psychological evaluations, and documentation of your lifestyle changes post-accident.
Our Fresno bicycle accident lawyers articulate the extent of your suffering to negotiate an appropriate amount of compensation, highlighting the impact of the accident on your quality of life.
In cases where the defendant’s conduct was grossly negligent or intentional, punitive damages may be pursued to punish and deter such behavior. Proving entitlement to punitive damages involves showing a high degree of negligence or malicious intent by the defendant.
The Fresno bicycle accident lawyers at our firm present compelling evidence and arguments to justify these damages, often in a court setting.
This covers the cost of repairing or replacing your bicycle and any other personal property damaged in the accident. We collect repair estimates, valuation reports, and evidence of the condition of your bicycle and other belongings before the accident. We make sure that you receive fair compensation for all property damages by negotiating with insurance companies or presenting your claims in court.
We don’t take any shortcuts when it comes to establishing and recovering compensation for your bicycle accident injury in Fresno. We take the burden of collecting all necessary documentation and evidence off of your hands.
We collaborate with medical, occupational, and financial experts to provide an even stronger foundation for your claims and leverage our position in strategic negotiations with insurance companies. We are also prepared to litigate in court to make sure you receive the full compensation you deserve.
At Wilshire Law Firm, we know how to successfully guide you through every step of the compensation process following a bicycle accident in Fresno. Our 15 years of experience and dedication to our clients will give you confidence that every dollar you are entitled to will be counted for, helping you achieve the financial recovery you need to move forward.
Where Can Bicycle Accidents Happen in Fresno?
In Fresno, California, bicycle accidents can happen anywhere. However, there are some potential hotspots based on Fresno’s cycling trends and the city’s infrastructure.
Here are some locations in Fresno where bicycle accidents could be more likely to happen:
- Busy Urban Intersections: Intersections in densely populated areas, such as those in Downtown Fresno or along major thoroughfares like Blackstone Avenue and Shaw Avenue, can be sites of bicycle accidents. These areas often have heavy vehicle traffic, increasing the risk of collisions with bicycles.
- Areas Near Our Schools and Universities: Roads and intersections near Fresno State University and other educational institutions can be hotspots for bicycle accidents due to the high number of students and faculty commuting by bike.
- Fresno’s Commercial Districts: Areas in Fresno with a high density of shops, restaurants, and businesses, such as the Tower District and River Park Shopping Center, tend to see a mix of vehicular and bicycle traffic. This can lead to accidents, especially during peak hours.
Contributing Factors in These Areas
According to the NHTSA report, some of the most common bicycle accidents include:
- Visibility Issues: Bicyclists are less visible to motorists, especially in high-traffic areas or poorly lit streets.
- Road Conditions: Potholes, uneven road surfaces, and debris can pose significant risks to cyclists, leading to accidents.
- Driver Behavior: Inattentive driving, speeding, and failure to yield right-of-way are common causes of bicycle accidents in urban settings.
- Lack of Proper Infrastructure: Areas without proper cycling infrastructure or where bike lanes are not clearly marked or respected by motorists can lead to accidents.
Understanding these potential high-risk areas and contributing factors is helpful for both cyclists and us at Wilshire Law Firm as legal professionals handling bicycle accident cases. It helps cyclists to be more careful in these areas of Fresno and informs our legal strategy when investigating and pursuing bicycle accident claims in the city.
Our Focus on Fresno Bicycle Accidents
At Wilshire Law Firm, we are well-equipped to handle a wide range of bicycle accidents in Fresno. This is because we understand the different types of bicycle accidents that can happen and the injuries they can cause.
Types of Bicycle Accidents
- Collisions at Intersections: Intersections are common sites for bicycle accidents, often due to drivers failing to yield, running red lights, or not noticing cyclists while turning. We investigate these accidents by analyzing traffic signals, driver behavior, and witness accounts.
- Dooring Incidents: “Dooring” occurs when a driver or passenger opens their vehicle door into a cyclist’s path. These accidents are prevalent in urban areas with on-street parking. Our approach includes examining parking conditions and driver responsibility.
- Crashes Due to Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, road debris, and poorly maintained roads can lead to serious bicycle accidents. We work to establish negligence in maintaining safe road conditions by local authorities or contractors.
- Hit and Run Accidents: Unfortunately, some drivers flee the scene after hitting a cyclist. We help in these cases by working with the Fresno Police Department and using available evidence to track down the responsible party.
- Collisions with Pedestrians: In crowded urban areas or shared paths, collisions between cyclists and pedestrians can occur, leading to injuries on both sides. These cases require a careful examination of the right-of-way and the actions of both parties involved.
Types of Injuries Suffered in Fresno Bicycle Accidents
Some of the possible injuries that result from Fresno bicycle accidents can include:
- Head Injuries: Including concussions and traumatic brain injuries, head injuries can be life-changing due to their impact on memory and cognitive function. We emphasize the severity and long-term impact of these injuries on your behalf.
- Fractures: Broken bones are common in bicycle accidents and can range from simple fractures to more complex breaks requiring surgery. We document these injuries thoroughly to ensure adequate compensation for medical care and any resulting disability.
- Road Rash: Severe skin abrasions, or road rash, can occur when cyclists slide across the pavement. These injuries can lead to infections and, in severe cases, may require skin grafting.
- Spinal Injuries: Spinal injuries can result in chronic pain or paralysis. These cases often require significant compensation due to the life-changing nature of the injuries and the long-term care they necessitate.
- Emotional Trauma: Beyond physical injuries, we recognize the psychological impact of bicycle accidents, such as anxiety and PTSD, and advocate for compensation that addresses these aspects.
How Do We Approach Compensation For Fresno Bicycle Accidents?
To begin the process of recovering compensation for Fresno bicycle accidents, we start by investigating each accident thoroughly, gathering evidence, and reconstructing the accident scene to establish liability.
By collaborating with medical professionals, we ensure that all injuries are properly documented and that future medical needs are considered in compensation claims.
We then proceed to strategic negotiation and litigation. We negotiate assertively with insurance companies and are prepared to take cases to trial if necessary, always aiming to secure the best possible outcome for our clients.
At Wilshire Law Firm, we understand how bicycle accidents happen and the injuries they cause in Fresno. Our experience in these cases allows our team of 500+ legal professionals to offer tailored and effective legal solutions. If you’ve suffered a bicycle accident injury in Fresno, allow Wilshire Law Firm to help you receive the attention and compensation you deserve.
Fighting the Insurance Company After a Fresno Bicycle Accident
Dealing with insurance companies following a bicycle accident in Fresno can be an incredibly frustrating process. These companies often use avoidance tactics like disputing liability, downplaying injuries, and making quick, lowball settlement offers. Our Fresno bicycle accident attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm have years of experience in countering these tactics, using our prior knowledge of personal injury law to negotiate and advocate on your behalf and help you receive the fair compensation you are entitled to.
Insurance companies frequently challenge liability, attempting to place some or all of the blame on the bicyclist. Our defense involves detailed evidence gathering to establish the other party’s liability clearly.
Insurers often attempt to minimize the severity of your injuries to reduce your claim value. We collaborate with medical professionals to provide comprehensive documentation of your injuries, ensuring full recognition and compensation.
Quick, Lowball Settlement Offers
Insurance companies may offer settlements far below your claim’s actual value soon after the accident. They’re hopeful that you will take the offer before speaking with an attorney and learning the true value of your claim. We offer counsel on your claim’s fair value and negotiate assertively for a proper settlement.
Surveillance and Social Media Monitoring
Some insurers conduct surveillance or monitor social media profiles to find evidence that contradicts injury claims. Our strategy includes advising clients on managing their public and online presence and challenging any misleading surveillance findings.
Weighing You Down With Paperwork and Legal Jargon
Insurers may use complicated legal language and extensive paperwork to exploit the claimant’s lack of legal knowledge. We guide our clients through this paperwork, ensuring all of their rights are protected.
Insurers sometimes delay claim processing to pressure claimants into accepting lower settlements. We actively follow up on claims and take necessary legal steps to prevent unreasonable delays.
Our Approach to Securing Fair Compensation for Fresno Bicycle Accidents
We are proactive and comprehensive in our approach. Our preparation allows us to cut straight through insurer tactics with skilled negotiation and solid evidence. We are prepared to represent our clients in court if fair settlements are not achieved through negotiation.
At Wilshire Law Firm, we are committed to advocating for your rights, handling the legal aspect of your insurance claims, and ensuring you receive the compensation you deserve.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident in Fresno
If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident, it’s now time to take certain steps to support your case. This includes obtaining a police report from the Fresno Police Department, keeping a detailed record of your injuries and treatment, and gathering witness statements.
Bringing this information to our firm will significantly strengthen your case, and we can help you obtain any pieces of necessary evidence to strengthen your claim. We guide you through each step of the legal process, making sure all necessary documentation is gathered and filed on time and that your rights are fully protected.
At Wilshire Law Firm, our Fresno personal injury lawyers provide excellent legal assistance to bicycle accident victims in Fresno. We have recovered more than $1 billion on behalf of our clients throughout California. Allow us to give you the legal support you need during this challenging time.
Contact us online or call (559) 396-3826 for a free consultation to discuss your case and learn how we can help you achieve the best possible outcome.
Our Fresno Office Location
Wilshire Law Firm
1221 Van Ness Avenue Ste 301
Fresno, CA 93721
Tel: (559) 396-3826