Los Angeles Wrongful Death Lawyers
The death of a loved one is one of the most difficult experiences that a person can go through. Dealing with the mental and emotional anguish can be exhausting, and the additional financial stress might leave you feeling lost. If someone you love has been killed due to someone else’s carelessness, recklessness, or other misconduct, you are probably asking yourself:
- What’s next?
- How will I get through this?
- How will I take care of my family and get my life back?
All of us at Wilshire Law Firm are dedicated to helping you answer those questions, along with getting the bereaved the justice they deserve and getting you the compensation necessary to help them move on with their lives following the loss of a loved one. Our attorneys maintain a steady client focus and are dedicated to representing you and your loved ones in the event of this unfortunate tragedy.
What is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?A wrongful death lawsuit may be brought to the civil court under California law when a victim dies due to the negligence, recklessness, or otherwise wrongful actions of another party (whether it be a business or another individual). This claim is separate of any criminal charges being pursued against the responsible party, and concerns itself only with securing financial compensation for the bereaved.Wrongful death claims can only be filed by survivors of the victim. Those closest to the decedent, such as surviving partners and dependent children, receive the highest entitlement, followed by:
- The victim’s surviving parents or siblings, and their children
- And any other person who may have been dependent on the decedent, such as a putative spouse and/or their children.
What are the Common Causes of Wrongful Death?There are a variety of different causes of wrongful death that can merit filing a wrongful death claim, but all of them involve a careless and largely preventable mistake. Wrongful deaths can occur on the road, at work, even at a doctor’s office. The most common causes of wrongful death are as follows:
- Motor vehicle accidents—Traffic accidents as a whole, including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents are the single biggest cause of wrongful death. Motor vehicle accidents caused by speeding, dangerous or reckless driving, distracted driving, and DUI are some of the most common causes.
- Workplace accidents—Whether it’s a slip and fall accident or using defective products or equipment, the workplace is another common place where wrongful deaths occur
- Medical malpractice—Another common cause of wrongful death, medical malpractice includes situations such as when a doctor fails to properly diagnose a condition like cancer, or a medical professional commits medical negligence by administering an improper medication or dose.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Wrongful Death Claim?When a victim dies as a result of the negligence of another party, the survivors of the decedent suffer both economic and non-economic damages. The emotional pain associated with the death of a loved one can be debilitating. The loss of love, companionship, comfort, affection, and guidance that your loved one provided is just one of the damages a wrongful death lawyer from Wilshire Law Firm can help you recover. Survivors of the victim may additionally recover damages based on:
- Loss of future earnings of the victim
- Lost benefits (i.e. medical benefits or a pension) the victim may have had
- Fixed expenses such as medical bills and funeral costs
What other resources are available?One of our initial steps is often connecting families with bereavement resources. While a successful wrongful death lawsuit is important, access to immediate counseling and resources can be just as important—if not more so. A number of grief counseling groups exist to help survivors of all ages grieve, heal, and move forward from their loss. The services offered by each group vary, but they will often allow survivors to meet with grief psychologists, psychotherapists, or other counselors that are trained to help those who have suffered a loss move forward.Support groups for the bereaved include:
- OUR HOUSE Grief Support Center, which provides support groups for people of all ages along with online grief resources;
- Grief Haven, which connects survivors with support groups, grief counselors, and other online grief tools and information;
- Hope Connection, whose mission is to “provide group support, educational programs, and information that helps alleviate the pain of grief and promote healing.”
Wilshire Law Firm—Your Wrongful Death LawyersWhen you need to get in touch with a wrongful death lawyer, the attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm are here for you. If a loved one has recently died due to the negligence of others, our lawyers will guide you through each and every step along the way. Our contingency fee structure requires no immediate payment from you. This arrangement aligns our interests with yours, as our payment is entirely dependent on our ability to achieve a positive outcome for your case.For more information, contact Wilshire Law Firm today at (800) 522-7274 or via our online case consultation request form, and find out how our attorneys can assist you now.
Highly recommended!Bobby helped me deal with a high complicated case and less than cooperative doctors. Highly recommended!
very helpfulI have to say that all the employees at Wilsher law firm were very helpful with my injury case. Look Des for me when I need a good physical therapist. Got me the most out of my case. Thank you Wilsher law firm!!!!!
TOP 1% OF LAWYERS
UNLESS YOU WIN